Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Easy Portabella Ravioli with Sage, Walnut, and Shiitake Brown Butter Sauce

I'm not sure what has prompted it, but I have developed a serious love for mushrooms.  About a year ago, I realized that it was only the icky white button mushrooms that have that slimy, chewy texture (you will never see me post with those!) However there are SO many more mushrooms that don't get slimy when you cook them and have more of a woodsy flavor to them.  So I have been exploring with most everything aside from a button mushroom.

I was on my own for dinner, so I made this pasta which sounds hard, but is really, really easy, really fast, and really delicious.  I promise.  And all I had to buy at the store was Trader Joe's portabella ravioli and some shiitake mushrooms, but I keep a pretty stocked kitchen and had some sage on the roof.  If you are not so stocked, here's what I used: 2 TB unsalted butter, 3 shiitakes, 4 sage leaves, 1/4 cup of walnuts, 1 clove of garlic, Parmesan cheese, and one package of ravioli.

The sauce only takes about 3-4 minutes to cook (about the same as the ravioli) so get the water going for the pasta and you can prep everything else while it's coming to a boil.
Chop the walnuts and set aside. Wipe off the mushrooms with a damp paper towel (don't rinse or they get soggy), chop the stems off and discard, and thinly slice.  Chop the garlic and set aside with the mushrooms.

Chop the sage and set aside. I have to share how beautiful this sage is from our roof.  I have never seen such fresh herbs!
Once the water is about to boil, start the sauce with 1 TB of butter in a saucepan on high.  Once it's melted, add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for 2 min.

Meanwhile, add the ravioli to the boiling water.
Add the second TB of butter to the saucepan and let it melt. Then add the sage and walnuts. Let them cook until the sage starts to get crispy and the butter starts to brown.  Be careful! Once it starts to brown, take it immediately off the heat.

Drain the ravioli and add straight to the sauce pan.  Toss the ravioli with the sauce and serve immediately with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Deliciously savory!  This would be a great date meal, too, served with an arugula or spinach salad and some crusty bread.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, it's time for a massive roof party before it gets too cold again, this time with mushroom ravioli!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum - this looks awesome, Ave! I'm going to try this at home (especially since I happen to have a ton of mushrooms right now).

    ReplyDelete