Thursday, August 11, 2011

Linguine with Clams

So hubby had a brutal week last week, and after an all nighter on Thurs, was really hoping for a bowl of pasta and a 9PM bedtime Friday night. 
So I obliged and picked up some delicious looking clams from Whole Foods to make linguine with clams. 
I pretty much followed a recipe from Epicurious with only a few minor tweaks. 
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
3 large garlic cloves, minced
24 small fresh clams (such as Manila or littleneck), scrubbed (I actually used some clams from Maine that were on special, and there were about 15-20 in the bag)
1 cup chopped seeded peeled tomatoes (I did not bother with seedless peeled tomatoes - who has time for that? - I used some leftover grape tomatoes)
6 tablespoons dry white wine
1/2 pound linguine 
1 cup (packed) chopped arugula

First I chopped all the ingredients and had them prepped and ready to go.  I wasn't sure how to scrub clams, but I put them in a big bowl of cold water and rinsed them a  few times until there was no more grit in the bowl. I do know that you have to be really careful with clams so that they don't die - don't ever put them in a  closed off bag and make sure they go directly in the fridge. 
First, get the water on for the pasta.  
Meanwhile, saute the shallots and garlic in a bit of olive oil for about 2 minutes until they are translucent. Add the clams, 3/4 of the tomatoes, and the wine and bring to a boil. Then cover and cook until clams are open. I made a mistake here... I turned the heat down when I covered it since it was really, really boiling. However, when I peaked after 4-5 minutes, none of the clams looked close to opening so I turned the heat back up and cooked for another 6-7 minutes.  So I cooked mine too long. Don't turn the heat down and stay to 8 minutes. 
Then use tongs to take the clams out of the pan and put them in a bowl off to the side and tent with foil to keep them warm. Drain the pasta and add it to the pan along with the arugula and the rest of the tomatoes (still on high heat.) Toss all of it together with tongs and plate with the clams.
 We both gave it a 7 since the clams were overcooked, but it would have been an 8 or 9 if they had been cooked right!

No comments:

Post a Comment