Monday, August 29, 2011

Chicken with herb butter tomato pan sauce over polenta

Last week I whipped up a chicken dish with herb butter and tomato pan sauce and served it over polenta that I bought from my massive Trader Joe's run.

I would pass on the polenta next time, opting to serve this over rice, mashed potatoes (in the winter), or stone ground grits.
I used the rest of the shiitakes that I had from the ravioli dish I made, but you could omit them or add any other vegetable that would cook quickly in a pan sauce (peas, asparagus, mushrooms, snap peas, snow peas, zucchini, etc)  Adapted from Bon Appetit July 2011.
Here's what I used:
-2 TB unsalted butter, left out until it gets to room temperature
-2 TB Fresh parsley, but you could use thyme, tarragon, oregano, or marjoram if you have it
-1 large clove of garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp paprika
-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
-Whatever vegetable  you want to use - I used 3/4 cup of shiitakes
-1/2 cup white wine
-one container of grape tomatoes
-I also had some green onions that I added, but you could use regular onions or omit.  

First, I mixed up the herb butter. I added 1 TB of fresh parsley, the paprika, a few dashes of dried oregano, the minced garlic, and some salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix it up until everything is incorporated:
Then I prepped the veggies by chopping the shiitakes, rinsing the tomatoes, chopping up the green onion, and putting the second TB of parsley aside.


Get a sauce pan heated and add half of the herb butter. Add the chicken to the pan and let it cook until done in the center, about 7-8 minutes on each side. When the pan looks like it is about to burn, add the white wine, scraping up all the drippings as you add it.  Add more wine as needed to allow the chicken to cook and not burn.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pan and tent with foil to keep warm.
Add the tomatoes to the pan and begin to cook, adding a bit of wine if needed and / or olive oil. Cook for a minute or two and then add the shiitakes or other vegetable. Cook for a few minutes and burst the tomatoes with your spoon once they start to shrivel. Once most of the tomatoes have burst, add the green onions and the final TB of herb butter and cook for one minute.If you are using regular onions instead of green onions, add them early with the tomatoes. They will take longer to cook than delicate green onions.
Meanwhile, I fried up the polenta, but as mentioned, I would probably sub out for rice, potatoes or grits. I was not too impressed with TJ's polenta (sorry, TJ's!)

Serve the chicken over the starch of your choice and top with the tomato pan sauce. Finish with the remaining TB of parsley.
The tomato pan sauce was delicious.  It really soaked up all those chicken flavors from the pan, and I loved the subtle wine flavor. Make sure you cook the tomatoes long enough for them to burst, as that's where all the flavor comes from! This was a very popular one with hubby, too.

1 comment: