Monday, September 12, 2011

Quinoa and Kale Crustless Quiche

I was left feeling a little guilty about all the sausage pasta I ate last week, including getting to the leftovers before hubby. :) So I decided to make a healthy choice from a new food community I just found, Food52.  Well, it's clearly not new, but it's new to me.  The community seems to have more than an affection for kale, so I decided if all these foodies are into it, maybe its not just for people in Williamsburg (jk jk - I heart Brooklyn.)
I decided to try the kale and quinoa quiche, figuring it was the healthiest sounding quiche I'd ever heard of and since it was a quiche, maybe it would still taste rather delicious.
Well, I was right! Healthy and delicious, and while not on the same level as the sausage and mushroom cheesy baked pasta, it hit the spot for our warm Sept day.
Here's what I used:
1/2 cup quinoa (I got mine from Trader Joe's awhile ago)
1 bunch of kale
1 vadalia onion (definitely use a Vadalia. The sweetness was great.)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of sharp white cheddar, shredded
3 oz of cream cheese - might add a little more next time
4 eggs

First, preheat your oven to 350 and spray cooking spray on a pie plate.  Then get the quinoa going with 1 cup of water or so.  You want the quinoa to absorb all the water and not drain out, so don't add too much.  I think I used a little more than a cup, but not much more.

Then get chopping. I chopped the vidalia onion in slices, not a dice. Get a sauce pan going with some olive oil, and when hot (not smoking... mine was smoking because I was talking on the phone...) add your onions and let them sit there and get a good caramel color. Stir only enough to keep them from burning.

Then, while the onions were cooking, I chopped the kale up.  The recipe said "ribbons" but I would probably chop it pretty fine next time so that there are not such large portions of kale leaf in the quiche. Make sure to remove the stems, as those do not look tasty. Mince your garlic, grate your cheese, and dice your cream cheese so that it can be mixed more easily.
 Once the onions are done, remove them from the pan into a large mixing bowl and add the kale to the same saucepan. Don't fret if all the kale does not fit right at first... it will cook quickly and shrink down, and then you can add the rest. Let it cook for 2 min or so until it is softened, bright green, and fits in the pan!
Make sure there is no water in the pan (if so, strain first) and add to the onions.  Then add the cooked quinoa, garlic, and cheeses and stir together. It should all be pretty incorporated, though I had a tough time with those big kale pieces and the cream cheese not really being melty enough. I would try to work with hot kale next time - I let mine cool in a strainer (but no water strained out!)

Then whisk together 4 eggs and add to the mixture. Stir until incorporated and add salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture into your pie plate and pop it in the oven for 45 minutes.
The quiche will pull away from the sides and be a little browned on top when it's done. It smelled and tasted great and the sweet onions were delicious.  I found the cream cheese to be a little lumpy and not that flavorful.  I bet this would be delicious with feta. That's what I would try next time.
Best part - I only had to buy the kale and cheeses (I had a vadalia, quinoa, and eggs.) That means dinner was only about $8! That and there is one piece leftover :)
I served with the last of the summer corn on the cob and a loaf of pretzel bread with mustard for a spread. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment