Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Easy Peach Tart

Summer peaches are one of my favorite things, and I had a few to use up so I tried Food52's Peach Tart.  It really was easy if you have a little patience to smoosh out the crust with your fingers.  And it was really scrumptious. The peaches were glazed with a sugar mixture and the crust smelled so good because it uses almond flavoring, my favorite. 

Here's what I used:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, plus 2 TB flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar, plus 1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
1/4 cup olive oil
2 TB whole milk
1/2 tsp almond flavoring (I actually added 3/4 tsp because I LOVE almond flavoring)
2 TB cold, unsalted butter
3-5 ripe peaches, sliced into 1/2 in slices as shown below.  The recipe called for a 11" tart pan, but mine was a 9", so three large peaches was plenty.  If your tart pan is bigger, so may need 4 peaches.  I'm not sure how you squeeze 5 peaches on there, but I'm sure it can be done.

Preheat the oven to 425 and set out two bowls and get your measuring cup out.
Into bowl #1, put 1 1/2 cup flour.  Into bowl #2, put 2 TB flour. Into bowl #1 goes 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar.  Into bowl #2 goes 1/4 tsp salt and 3/4 cup sugar. (I do it this way to minimize how many things you have to clean! You'll see.) Stir the ingredients in both bowls so that they are incorporated.  This will also help "sift" your flour. Add the 2 TB butter to bowl #2 and set aside.

In the measuring cup, now measure out both of the oils, and add the milk and almond extract.  Pour all of the wet ingredients into bowl #1.  Mix with a fork until it is just mixed together and is a crumbly dough. Then put the dough in the tart pan and begin to press around the edges of the pan and over the bottom of the pan. Here is my work in progress:

And my finished product:

Then, layer the peaches neatly in circles around the tart pan.  Load as many peaches as you can into your pan.  I probably could have fit another peach, and wished I hadn't eaten a few slices...
Then, turn back to bowl #2.  Using a pastry cutter or just your hands, crumble the butter into the mixture until it starts to form little crumbles.  The mixture should almost resemble sand once the butter is incorporated.  Dump the contents of bowl #2 over top of the peaches.
Bake at 425 for 35 minutes.  It should come out bubbly and delicious looking and all the sugar / butter mixture should be melted on top.  If not, keep it in for a few more minutes.  I took a video when it came out of the oven because it looked SO delicious.  We were not disappointed!
Serve with a little creme fraiche or spoonful of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

1 comment: