Monday, August 15, 2011

Miso Glazed Cod with rice and roasted peaches and snap peas

This one is a winner from several perspectives - cooks in 20 min (though brown rice takes 50 min), delicious, and you only have to clean the dishes that you cook in - no prep dishes!
First thing I did was get a cup of brown rice going because that takes 50 min to cook and I pre-heated the oven to 475.  You want the glaze to crisp up on the ends of the fish but you don't want the fish to overcook, which means a hot oven.
While the rice was going, I put some sugar snap peas (enough for 2 people) in a glass pyrex and sliced two peaches on top like so:
Then I prepped the fish.  This recipe can be made with any firm, thick white fish.  I've made it before with cod, but Whole Foods didn't have any cod today.  The only thick white fish they had were hake and Chilean sea bass. The hake looked a lot like cod and it was $7.99 to the $27.99 Chilean sea bass, so it was a no-brainer that we were going to try out hake. I asked for the thickest piece they had and got 2 filets cut, each about 5 oz and 1 in thick.
Anyway, prepping for this dish means rinsing the fish, patting it dry, and putting it in a pyrex dish that will hold the filets.
I mixed up the miso glaze by using white miso paste and honey, in equal parts. If you haven't cooked with miso paste before, it is basically just fermented soybeans, which is a deliciously salty Japanese condiment.  I've been wanting to learn to cook with miso ever since I visited markets in Japan in 2009 and saw people shopping for miso like it was red wine (with just as many varieties!) I thought I had a picture of the miso bins, but this was a market in Kyoto with something in the miso (maybe some sort of vegetable?) I could have walked around this market for a day or two:
Anyway, you can get miso in Whole Foods or any asian section of your supermarket. It's a little pricey for the 1-2 TB you need for this dish, but since it is already fermented, you can keep it in your fridge for 6 months - 1 year with no problem. I just whisk equal parts of white miso paste and honey in a small bowl - the honey gives it a nice sweet / salty balance. I used 2 TB of both, since I know that both hubby and I like miso flavor, but if you are hesitant, you might want to use a bit less, since 2 TB of each will more than glaze 2 pieces of fish (it would prob glaze 4-5 pieces), but I load it onto our fish. Here's what the miso looks like:

Pop the peas/peaches on the top rack and the fish on the middle rack when there is 20 minutes left on the timer for the rice.
Once the fish is done (it should break away easily with a fork and be just opaque in the center...check it after 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish...my fish was thick, so 20 min was perfect), remove it and the vegetables from the oven and plate.  It's best if the fish can rest a few minutes before you serve.
A 9 from both hubby and me! He said he is saving 9.5s and 10s for unhealthy stuff. Ha.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! I am very excited, you are going to teach me such good new things. :)

    ReplyDelete